Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Observations, Frustrations, and Jubilations

I've been mentally developing this post for a few days now and I think it is ready to be solidified. Sometimes I notice that blogs, especially travel ones, can easily veer into the negative side of things. Its not surprising as I think people generally share those negative experience that stick out to them more often than everyday acts of kindness and positivity. It is really important to me that I share both with you all, so here are a few things I have experienced while here in Korea

Observations (these are neither positive of negative, just unique things I have noticed about Korea)
-Parking: Everyone backs into spaces here, even in crowded garages. It takes so much skill and I doubt I could ever master it.
-Elevators: Koreans always seem to take elevators, even if it is just down one floor.
-Bathroom Shoes: They wear different shoes in the bathroom than in the rest of the office. There is a communal pair of sandals left outside for you to use.
-Garbage: They seem to produce so little. I feel like a trash producing machine sometimes!
-Exercise: People seem to really enjoy walking, biking, hiking etc. They always make some excuse to go outside and get fresh air.

Frustrations (no explanations need)
-The packs of older women who stop walking and simply stare at me as I walk past. No amount of smiling or waving on my part changes their expression and I feel a bit like an animal at the zoo.
-I find that I am often laughed at for things I do differently, which on its own I can deal with, but some days it happens every hour and it can wear you down. Examples are: forgetting to take my shoes off at work, putting soy sauce on rice, drinking lots of water, not speaking Korean perfectly etc
-I also find that I have to defend myself a lot, mostly in the work place. I am making a lot of decisions regarding supplies and art curriculum, and am meeting more resistance than I expected. Its not anything that my coworkers are doing wrong, just an adjustment I need to make in my expectations.
-Being left out of the loop. I am often told what I am to do right before it needs to be done (for example, I was told to head to the cafe with my boss and upon arriving found out I was interviewing a translator). I like to know my schedule for the day and prepare accordingly for it, so it has been difficult to just jump into whatever activity is going on without any notice.

Jubilations (to end on a positive note)
-The kindness of the people around me never seizes to amaze me. Some examples:
      -The coworker who always seems to have a treat for me, be it clementines or cookies or simply a smile and good morning.
      -The mother who nudges her child to smile and say hello when I pass by on the road.
      -The hospitality of my boss, who has let me stay in his apartment and always insists on paying for everything, from meals to hiking trips.
      -The coworker who noticed I was cold and brought me a warm cup of coffee.
      -My co-teacher/translator who never hesitates to help me learn Korean words.
      -The waitress at the restaurant I go to for lunch who likes to practice her English with me as I practice my Korean with her. The interaction will always end with a laugh or smile.
      -And many more daily jokes and smiles I can't begin to list

The more time I spend here the more I fall in love with the people, the culture, the food, and the scenery of Korea. I know that some days I'll be frustrated and angry, but that is true anywhere you live. The more I focus on the things that truly bring me joy each day, the easier it is to adjust to life in Korea.

xo Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment