Monday, November 12, 2012

Korean Logic and Other Things

Things have been going pretty well over here in Korea. I have been working a lot so exciting adventures have been sparse. This week my schedule is changing from working Tues-Sat to Mon-Fri, which is SO much better. Its nice to have my days off during the weekend when most people are available to meet up. I have spent some time exploring my neighborhood, which turns out to be in a perfect location. I live in Hagwon-ga (or private school area) which is full of schools and next to an area called Pyeongchon Food Court, which is about 5 blocks devoted to restaurants and bars. Its nice to have so many things to do within walking distance, especially as the temperatures are starting to drop.

Last weekend I went on another Meetup with a different group, to visit the gochujang (or red bean paste) festival and the Seonunsa Temple. The festival was ok, although the smell of fermenting beans and gochujang can get to you after a while. However, I did eat a bowl of the world's largest bibimbap! The temple was really interesting although I wish I had had more time to explore!

A man with a professional video camera made us pose for this shot, followed by an action shot yelling "fighting!". I might end up in some promo add for fermented bean sauce or something.


Stirring the world's largest bibimbap! And no, there were no cases of food poisoning.


I also visited the Seoul Lantern Festival with a girl I met on the apple hike a couple weeks ago. Life size lanterns light up a stream that runs through the center of Seoul. The lanterns begin depicting scenes of tradition Korean life and end with Spiderman and Pororo (a Korean cartoon). Here are some pics for you to see, although my camera is terrible at capturing what they really look like.

The entrance to the festival.

Goblin lanterns under a bridge.

Pororo and friends (accompanied by their theme song)!

Apperently all children from America are Native Americans...

Lastly, I've been encountering many instances of "Korean Logic" in my first few weeks of teaching classes. The quotes are necessary as I am starting to think that logic doesn't exist in Korea. Korean parents (who are crazy picky by the way) would like for me to have extended discussions with their children about colors/textures/etc in art class, but I cannot use a translator. I am supposed to let the child approach the art project however he wants and let them be creative, but the final product must look exactly like the example. These things are completely contradictory, but still expected of me! It can get really frustrating because I don't understand how to give them what they want. A few other non-work examples of Korean logic: while Koreans seem to fairly germaphobic (hand sanitizer, masks, etc) children aren't taught to cover their mouths when they cough and no-one will use tissues, just sniffle. Also, apparently all Korean food is healthy, including white rice, fried chicken, and soju. My logic-centered Western brain is just not getting it!

xo Julie

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your blog, Julie! It looks like you are having some amazing adventures. Hope all is well and miss you lots!
    - Kristan

    ReplyDelete