Monday, March 11, 2013

Here Comes the Bride...

Well, I've officially done the most absurd thing Korea has to offer. I've mentioned before the plethora of coffee shops in Korea. They are especially fond of themed cafes. There are animal cafes (cat, dog, and even sheep), where you can play with furry friends whilst sipping a latte. There are Hello Kitty cafes, where all your drinks are topped with coco Hello Kitty faces. But the mother of all cafes is the Princess Diary Cafe, more fondly known as "Wedding Dress" cafe. So this weekend, a few friends and I went to check it out.

The idea is that you go to the cafe, buy a drink, and then choose a wedding gown to wear for an hour. The dresses range from 10,000-30,000 won per hour, and come complete with a variety of accessories to chose from. Most of the dresses were ridiculous looking, and its best to go in to the whole process with a sense of humor. After picking out your (preferably over the top poofy) gown, you were lead into a dressing room to be pinned into the dress. They even had "Up Bras" to help you look good in those strapless dresses (however, they were all the exact same size and they put one over top my own bra, which was absolutely pointless and ridiculous looking). After some pinning and strategic bow placement, you're ready to pose away around the cafe.

While we were busy hamming it up for the camera (I donned a pirate hat at one point), the rest of the cafe was full of Korean couples, taking the whole process very seriously. The girls brought giant make up bags and the boyfriends were giving lots of direction for the pictures. I have to say I was impressed by how involved the boyfriends were (whether willingly or coerced). They were dressing up in tuxedos to pose alongside their girlfriends. I felt a little bad for the poor guys...

Our angelic bride pose

Doing the "Korean" primp

Attitude at the Princess Diary cafe

The whole experience was crazy and bizarre and hilarious and definitely made me realize it will be quite sometime before I am ready to put on one of those dresses for real. But it was still fun to feel like a princess for a day.

In other news, we got a teaser of spring weather this weekend! Saturday it was a balmy 70 degrees! Unfortunately it dropped back to the low 40s the next day, but just that one day was enough to get me excited for warmer days to come!

xo Julie

1 comment:

  1. Actually I need a sexual song about ice cream accompanied by Psy awkwardly eating an ice cream cone. And I want to work out at your gym. Okay bye!

    ReplyDelete