Monday, December 17, 2012

Hitting My Stride

Things have been going good in Korea. Well, let's rephrase that, things have been going great in Korea.  As the title implies, I really feel like I'm finding my place in here. My parents will tell you, I was a bit of a mess my first week or two here. I was completely overwhelmed not only by a new culture but the huge life transition of leaving the familiar (college, home, friends...) for a real life with real responsibilities (bills, work...). I was excited and terrified and nervous and jet lagged and there were a fair share of tears.

But slowly and surely, I began to make this place a home. A home that is full of friends and adventures and laughter. I've pursued my passions, both old ones and new ones. I've made the unfamiliar familiar. I'm a regular at (many) coffee shops. I've managed to navigate banking and bills and setting up a cell phone in another language. And although my Korean is still terrible, I can get around OK on my own (with the help of my translating app and some hand motions).

There are still things that surprise me about Korea, and things that excite and frustrate me as well. And I hope that it will continue to be that way for a while. But its nice to feel comfortable here and to know I have people to be with when I don't want to be alone. Although I'm sad not to be with my family during the holidays, I'm excited to spend them with people who have quickly become very important to me.

Anywho, I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season and are eating all the good food I can't cook here (although I finally got a toaster oven and can (try to) bake some goodies). And happy end of the world! If something goes down I promise I'll give you a heads up :)

xo Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment